Healthy hair starts at the scalp. Out of sight, out of mind. It's all too common to focus on the health of our hair and stop there. However, the condition of your scalp plays a crucial role in normal hair growth and should not go unnoticed. Achieving and maintaining a healthy scalp is the key to luscious, thick locks. This is your guide to the importance of scalp care.
Signs and Benefits of a Healthy Scalp
Signs of a healthy scalp include being free of:
Healthy hair is dependent on a healthy scalp. The benefits of a healthy scalp include the following:
- Ensuring each hair follicle is free of dirt, fungi, bacteria, and buildup that clog the follicle and prevent normal, healthy hair growth.
- Producing enough sebum to moisturize hair strands and protect the skin on the scalp from becoming infected.
- Ensuring a higher quality of life since scalp conditions can cause pain and irritation, which prevents you from feeling your best and living life to the fullest.
Symptoms of an Unhealthy Scalp
An unhealthy scalp can look different for everyone. The most common symptoms include:
- Excess buildup, such as dead skin cells, sweat, and oil, can clog hair follicles and prevent normal hair growth.
- Redness and irritation
- Acne on the scalp
- Thinner strands of hair indicate that your follicles do not have the capacity to produce normal strands of hair either due to nutrition or clogged follicles.
- Pain of the scalp
Don't ignore your gut. If you feel like something is going on with your scalp, it is time to be proactive.
How to Improve Scalp Health
Simple changes in your hair care routine can greatly improve and help you maintain the health of your scalp. Follow these tips to ensure you have the healthiest scalp possible.
- Gently massage your scalp - Gently massaging your scalp increases blood flow and nutrients to the follicles, which in turn, promotes healthy hair growth.
- Adequate vitamin consumption - Vitamins B, A, and C nourish the scalp and stimulate hair growth.
- Avoid harsh hair products and chemicals - Use gentle shampoos and conditioners that are free of sulfates that strip your hair and scalp of the essential oils you need to maintain healthy hair.
- Gentle combing - Aggressive brushing, especially when your hair is wet, can pull and damage hair follicles. Instead, gently remove tangles with a wide-tooth comb. Furthermore, it's better to comb your hair when it's dry versus wet.
- Avoid harsh treatments - Minimize or eliminate the frequency of harsh chemical treatments such as bleaching, relaxing, and straightening that strips your scalp of natural oils need to promote healthy hair growth.
What to Do When Nothing Else Works
You can take all the right steps, but may still be experiencing scalp issues. There's no need to worry! It just means it's time to seek professional help from North Carolina's most trusted hair restoration studio. Our certified hairstylists will conduct a thorough scalp and hair analysis. Next, your stylist will discuss their findings and discuss viable treatment options based on your needs, lifestyle, and budget.
LH Hair is dedicated to providing scalp care and hair restoration solutions for men and women in all stages of hair loss. Solutions include trichological treatments, hair systems, wigs, toppers, and more. We walk you through every step of the process in a comfortable and welcoming environment. Don't let scalp issues affect your daily life. Contact us today, and let us help you achieve the healthiest scalp and hair possible.