Hair products are incredibly popular for helping women style their beautiful locks. In particular, dry shampoo is all the rage for women who want their hair to look freshly washed even if it has been 2-3 days since their last shampoo. These products promise to soak up oil, dirt, and other unwanted debris in exchange for a clean look. However, many rumors circle the idea of whether dry shampoos are safe for your hair. This is your guide to dry shampoo and whether they contribute to hair loss.
What is Dry Shampoo?
Dry shampoos are designed to cleanse your hair without the need for water, hence the name. They come in either a spray or paste. Once applied and massaged in, they absorb excess oil from your scalp and the roots so that your hair looks fresh and smells great. Dry shampoos are made primarily of alcohols and rice or corn starch, along with appealing fragrances. It is an incredibly popular option for shortening your beauty routine without sacrificing your appearance.
Does Dry Shampoo Lead to Hair Loss?
Although dry shampoo does not directly cause hair loss, it can contribute to it. On the surface, this popular beauty product may seem like the perfect solution when you do not have time to wash your hair, but dry shampoo is not healthy for your hair or scalp. Problems caused by dry shampoo include:
- Overuse can cause dry shampoo to accumulate on your hair follicles. This accumulation can cause inflammation which may accelerate hair shedding. When hair falls out prematurely, there isn't new growth ready to take its place which causes thinning and bald spots.
- Dry shampoo can cause follicles to stick together. This means if one hair sheds, then it may pull others out with it that are not ready to come out yet.
- The accumulation of dry shampoo on the scalp can clog hair follicles which may hinder normal hair growth.
- Dry shampoo can lock in the dirt next to the scalp, which can lead to bacterial and fungal infections.
- Build-up can cause hair to become dry and brittle, which leads to breakage and the appearance of balding on the scalp.
- Frequent washing is important for removing dead skin cells. Since you aren't removing dead skin cells as frequently from the scalp, it may lead to dandruff and scaly skin. This can cause inflammation, severe itching, and embarrassment.
The best way to keep your hair healthy is to wash it frequently and follow-up with a quality conditioner.
What Should You Do?
Dry shampoo is not a replacement for traditional cleansing shampoos and should not be used as such. Even though it is advisable to avoid dry shampoo products because it is not healthy for your hair or scalp, chances are it is not the root cause of your hair loss.
If you find that you are experiencing hair loss or thinning, it is best to seek professional treatment. As the most trusted hair restoration studio in Charlotte, NC, LH Hair is dedicated to finding the cause of your hair loss and presenting you with solutions that allow you to have your full head of hair.
Potential hair loss solutions include trichological treatments for individuals who are experiencing thinning or temporary hair loss. For those who want a more permanent solution, LH Hair offers non-surgical hair restoration systems that blend in seamlessly with your growing hair.
Let the experienced hair specialists at LH Hair help you take back your confidence and enjoy a full head of hair. Schedule your FREE consultation today!